This can be made gluten free friendly with the use of gluten free pasta (I used GF penne) and a gluten free flour blend. Otherwise, feel free to use your favorite pasta and all purpose flour if gluten isn't an issue. I liked how the spinach added some color and vegetables wherever you can squeeze them in is always a good thing. The fresh tomatoes used as a garnish when serving is a nice touch of color too but I like that it was fresh versus cooked through with the rest of the dish. This is great to make in advance a day ahead and then popped into the oven, especially on weeknights after a long day!Chicken Alfredo Florentine Bake
recipe adapted from Recipes for You
- 16 oz box pasta of GF pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all purpose or GF flour
- 2 cups half & half
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups cooked chicken, cubed (about 2 breasts)
- 2 handfuls fresh baby spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the pasta according to package directions.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add flour and whisk for 1 minute. Continuing to whisk, slowly add the half & half.
- Add the seasonings and cheese. Mixing well, reduce heat to medium low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and spinach and stir well.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the cheese mixture.
- Transfer mixture into an 8x8 casserole dish, top with extra Parmesan cheese and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- When done, garnish with fresh chopped tomatoes and serve.