What I love about this preparation of pineapple is it really highlights the natural sweetness from the fruit itself. Although it gets some help from a sweet mixture of sugar, juice, honey and spices, broiling the pineapples really give it a depth of flavor. We didn't have any caramelized pineapple leftover - but next time, I plan to make extra just to have it on hand for a quick dessert! The topping would even be great to can and give as a gift in an ice cream basket. Oooh! I sense some holiday gifting ideas on the horizon...
Caramelized Pineapple Sundaes
recipe adapted from Cooking Light
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh pineapple juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh pineapple
- 2 cups vanilla fat-free frozen Greek yogurt or ice cream
- Preheat broiler to high.
- In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, pineapple juice, honey, cinnamon and ginger, whisking to combine. Add the pineapple and toss to coat.
- Spread pineapple mixture in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan lined with foil. Broil 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Spoon 1/2 cup yogurt or ice cream into each of 4 dessert bowls. Top each serving with about 1/4 cup pineapple mixture and serve immediately.