I don’t cook with quinoa as often as I should. It’s an excellent grain to cook with packed with protein and definitely one that’s healthier than even brown rice. My friend Robert prepared this salad and it was very refreshing and light.
Quinoa & Black Bean Salad
recipe from Gourmet Magazine
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa (small disk-shaped seeds)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed, if canned
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups cooked corn (cut from about 2 large ears)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 pickled jalpeno chilies, seeded and minced (wear rubber gloves)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin, or to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
In a bowl wash quinoa in at least 5 changes cold water, rubbing grains and letting them settle Before pouring off most of water, until water runs clear and drain in a large fine sieve. In a saucepan of salted boiling water cook quinoa 10 minutes. Drain quinoa in sieve and rinse under cold water.
Set sieve over a saucepan of boiling water (quinoa should not touch water) and steam quinoa, covered with a kitchen towel and lid, until fluffy and dry, about 10 minutes (check water level in kettle occasionally, adding water if necessary).
While quinoa is cooking, in a small bowl toss beans with vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer quinoa to a large bowl and cool. Add beans, corn, bell pepper, jalapeno, and coriander and toss well. Make dressing: In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, salt, and cumin and add oil in a stream, whisking. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well with salt and pepper to taste. Salad may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring salad to room temperature before serving.
Leave a Reply