What’s a fond summer memory of yours? For me, a memory I recently thought fondly was when I enjoyed childhood visits to a local drive in with friends. It would be a lazy summer day and my friends in the neighborhood would walk over to Shirl’s Drive In for ice cream to beat the heat. Afterward, we’d go next door and play a round or two of mini golf. Ah, fun summer times! Shirl’s is still there after all these years and still serving up great ice cream and other menu favorites. Shirl’s was always known for having great ice cream. But if there was a sandwich I’d recommend, it would definitely be a Cheesy Grub! Seasoned ground beef is mixed with a creamy cheese sauce and served up in a steamed hot dog bun. It’s messy but oh so good!
When I visited my hometown not too long ago, I had a craving for a Cheesy Grub. I had one and was inspired to try making them at home. I mean, how hard could it be? Thankfully, after some tweaking, this recipe definitely is spot on and now I’m not too far from getting a taste of my childhood.
Another bonus is that the filling for this sandwich can be used in other ways. Aside from a sandwich filling for a cheesy grub, you can stir in macaroni for a cheeseburger macaroni casserole. This is even delicious over fries or baked potatoes!
Cheesy Grub Sandwich Recipe
recipe inspired by Shirl’s Drive In restaurant
Cheesy Grub Sandwich Recipe Ingredients
- 1 lb lean hamburger meat (80/20)
- 2 teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
Cheesy Grub Sandwich Recipe Instructions
- In a skillet, brown ground beef and season with Montreal steak seasoning and Worchestershire. Drain off any rendered fat and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes over medium high heat until mixture is light brown.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and bring it to a boil. Continue whisking until smooth while it thickens.
- Remove it from heat and stir in the cheese until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the seasoned ground beef and stir to combine.
- Use the cheesy beef as a filling for sandwiches, best served in hot dog buns just like the original Cheesy Grub!
Leave a Reply