One of my favorite things to enjoy during these last days of summer is a colorful salad. I haven’t used beets very often and when I saw some on sale at the store, I picked up a few just to force myself into using them. I knew when made into a salad it would be something light, flavorful and colorful! This Summer Beet Salad is exactly that… roasted beets pair beautifully with colorful tomatoes, a bed of baby arugula and a perfect amount of creamy Cambazola cheese…
How easily do I forget my love of beets. Growing up I was not a fan… because the only beets I had came out of a can. After realizing how much better fresh beets are when roasted, I have a new love for them. If you can get a hold of different varieties of beets, such as golden ones, try using it in this recipe! They are so colorful and have a nice flavor making it a good salad when combined with tomatoes.
- 4 medium-sized red beets
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved [I used yellow cherry tomatoes]
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1-2 ounces Cambazola, gorgonzola, or blue cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Trim roots and stems from beets, then drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over the beets. Sprinkle with salt and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until tender. Cool; peel beets and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Combine the remaining olive oil, mustard and balsamic vinegar in a bowl with a whisk.
- On a serving platter, place the arugula in the center as a heaping mound.
- In a large bowl, combine the beets and tomatoes with a couple tablespoons of dressing; toss to coat. Transfer mixture over the bed of arugula.
- Crumble cheese over salad.
- Drizzle with more dressing if desired and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.