I think my busy schedule is becoming more manageable and I’m so glad I’ve got a chance to update things here! I’ve had so much fun teaching doughnut classes in the past few weeks that I just had to share the deliciousness we’ve been up to. Besides, Mardi Gras is coming up and to get ready for the fun, I’m celebrating this week with doughnuts and lots of them!
Doughnuts aren’t just for special occasions, boardwalks, or carnivals… they’re for everyone! Doughnuts have been inspiring and influencing cultures, regions, and religions around the world for centuries. In short, there’s nothing more satisfying than a doughnut. All this week I’ll be sharing recipes of donuts featured in some classes I recently taught so stay tuned! And if you have a love of doughnuts like I do, you’ll appreciate these books dedicated to making them at home and there’s no need to limit yourself to the bakery counter!
With Homemade Donuts [Quarry Books, February 2014, $24.99 US / $27.99 Can] Chef Kamal Grant of Atlanta’s Sublime Doughnuts shows you how to make creative, delicious doughnuts in your home kitchen. Inside you’ll find:
- Basic techniques such as rolling the dough, cutting, hand shaping, frying, and more Basic dough formulas for yeast doughnuts, cake doughnuts, fritters, biscuit-style doughnuts, and pie crusts to fry
- Mouth-watering glazes, including Honey Glaze, Peanut Butter Glaze, and Lemon-Thyme Glaze
- Delicious icings, including Salted Chocolate, Pistachio, Pink Lemonade
- Bourbon Inspired fillings, including Apple Butter, Blueberry, Coffee Custard, and Lemon Curd
- Accoutrements to put your doughnuts over the top such as almonds, balsamic vinegar reduction, candied bacon, and more
While the vision of the doughnut has evolved over time and been “fancified” by cart owners and Top Chefs alike, one thing reigns true: everyone loves a good doughnut. With step-by-step tutorials, Homemade Donuts will show you the basics of doughnut making, baking techniques, and practical problem-solving tactics for creating bakery-like doughnuts at home. From the classic to modern food art, this book provides the lessons for creating a gamut of deliciousness.
With Baked Doughnuts for Everyone, you can now enjoy fresh–completely gluten-free!–doughnuts from the comfort of your own kitchen and without fussing over a fryer. All you need is a doughnut pan, a mixing bowl, and a few simple ingredients like oat flour, almond meal, and pure cane sugar. The result? Truly cake-like doughnuts with no grainy texture and no scary starches or gums–only pure, all-natural flavor. No one will ever even guess they’re gluten-free, whether they follow a wheat-free diet or not! From sweet confections to more savory combinations, you’ll find recipes to suit every occasion and every taste, including:
- Cinnamon Sugar Doughnuts
- Apple Fritter Doughnuts
- Peanut Butter Crunch Doughnuts
- Vegan Gooey Chocolate Doughnuts
- Jalapeno Cheddar Doughnuts
- Greek Stuffed Doughnuts
Leave a Reply