A couple weeks ago, Joel and I hit the fields. The strawberry fields! It’s been an annual place we go the past several years and a great way to help Joel appreciate agriculture. This year we left with several pounds and I’ve been having fun finding ways to use them up. Most recently, I made these Strawberry Key Lime Shortcakes for a post July 4th dinner we hosted. They were delicious and with plump sweet strawberries layered between fluffy clouds of fresh whipped cream and key lime kissed biscuits, how could they not be?!
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled Plugra unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons honey
- zest and juice of 1 Persian lime or 4-5 key limes
- 2 cups quartered strawberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups whipped cream
- more lime zest for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400°
- In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries and sugar, tossing to coat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Chill 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together heavy cream, honey, lime zest and lime juice until well blended. Add mixture to flour mixture; stirring until just combined.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times. Roll dough into a (1/2-inch-thick) 9 x 5–inch rectangle; dust top of dough with flour. Fold dough crosswise into thirds (as if folding a piece of paper to fit into an envelope). Re-roll dough into a (1/2-inch-thick) 9 x 5–inch rectangle; dust top of dough with flour.
- Fold dough crosswise into thirds; gently roll or pat to a 3/4-inch thickness. Cut dough with a 1 3/4-inch biscuit cutter to form 14 dough rounds. Place dough rounds, 1 inch apart, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan and cool 2 minutes on wire racks.
- To assemble the shortcakes, split each biscuit in half cross-wise. Place bottom half on a serving dish. Top with a dollop of whipped cream, followed by a spoonful of strawberries. Place other biscuit half on top, followed by another dollop of whipped cream and another spoonful of strawberries. Repeat with the other remaining biscuits.
- Just before serving, garnish with more fresh lime zest, if desired.
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.
Leave a Reply