Welcome Back! This is a phrase that will soon be heard as kids prepare to return back to school in the coming weeks. In our case, we’re back to blogging here at What’s Cookin, Chicago. After taking a few months off, we saw an opportunity to make some updates on the site to make it more user friendly and intuitive. So take a look around and navigate through!
Since we’re kicking things off with a brand new start, we’re switching up our approach to deliver relevant content on the site. Each month will be dedicated to a seasonal theme. For example, this month of August is the ‘Back to School’ edition where we will highlight back to school ideas – healthy lunches, kid friendly snacks, quick & easy family meals, and the like. You can expect a post the first of each month to announce the monthly theme. Subsequently, on the last day of each month you can expect a round-up post to summarize all the content we’ve covered for the month, in case you missed anything!
- Be sure to follow us on Instagram at @WCChicago! On Instagram, we’ve got some fun stuff happening. What’s Cookin, Chicago has a new team member, Melissa – coffee lover, hardcore Cubs fan, Goddess of ‘Gramming. Melissa will be Instagramming all the delicious adventures we’re experiencing while we’re out and about at restaurants, culinary events and just everyday foodstuff. You can also view our latest Instagram pics at the bottom of our site!
- Be sure to follow us on Pinterest at @WCChicago! On Pinterest, you can anticipate some great pins being shared on our board which will include some of our favorite recipes and ideas along with those from fellow food bloggers we love.
- Be sure to follow us on Facebook at @Whatscookinchicago! On Facebook, you can anticipate a more active Facebook page sharing more recipes to check out from both our site and fellow food bloggers we enjoy. We’ve also go some local events we’ll share on Facebook and would love to see you in person if you’re in the area!
To celebrate a new school year and the re-launch of What’s Cookin, Chicago, I’m hosting a special giveaway! I want to equip a special reader with something they can use and these goodies came to mind….
The comments closed at 10pm CST and randomly chosen at 10:30pm CST using Random.Org below:
I’ve sent you a message to gather your chosen prize so it can be mailed directly from Amazon. 🙂
So leave a comment on what you like/want to see and let’s celebrate the new site!
Not sure what to comment? Here are some things that have been updated and/or added:
- Menu Bar – Easily find all the essential sections of the site
- About Menu – Learn about how What’s Cookin Chicago started out, my focus and our culinary footprint in the media/press
- Recipe Menu – View recipes by cuisine, holiday, round ups and a few other categories in a more organized way
- Entertaining Menu – View posts by various themes for inspiration on your next shindig
- Event Calendar & Reviews – View what’s happening in our kitchen, from events we’re hosting to local food activities, along with reviews from those that have joined us in the kitchen. Sprinkled throughout the month will be a few random posts on Chicago-area food events for our local readers as well
- Out & About Menu – View restaurant reviews and culinary travel notes from our time away from the kitchen
- Contact Pages – Reach out based on your need to either work with What’s Cookin Chicago or to attend/host a culinary event with What’s Cookin Chicago
- Search Bar – Look for something specific using a clearly marked search bar
- Monthly Featured Pinterest Board – Access or be inspired by seasonal recipes each month through a featured Pinterest Board in the sidebar
- Gallery Style Format – The most recent post will be highlighted on the main page of the site with older posts displayed as pictures to click on for easy viewing
- Slider Pictures – In line with the monthly theme, we’ll feature some of our favorite recipes in the slider pictures beneath our header.
- Printable Recipes – Print recipes with or without an image quickly with one click for new recipes. We’ll have this feature for new recipes shared going forward and we’re working on applying this to our most popular recipes as well. Please be patient as we work on getting this done over time.