Growing up, the idea of baked beans always came out of a can… and wasn’t exactly something I personally liked. Then, I met my husband who LOVES baked beans. It wasn’t until I started making baked beans myself – and not warming up store bought baked beans in a can – did I appreciated them.
This recipe is done in crockpot/slow cooker, making it easy to put together and step away to focus on other things. This is another recipe I’m planning to make during the upcoming Labor Day holiday!
Crockpot Baked Beans
Prep Time 5-10 minutes
Cook Time 8-10 hours
1 cup (8 slices) cooked bacon, crumbled
½ cup onion, diced
2 cans (11 oz) pork and beans
1 can (16 oz) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15.5 oz) spicy or mild chili beans
4 hot dogs, sliced, optional
½ cup ketchup
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup honey
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook bacon and onions until crispy. Drain.
2. Rinse and drain the kidney beans and add to the Crockpot.
3. Add pork and beans, and chili beans.
4. Slice hot dogs (if using) and stir into beans.
5. Stir in ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, honey, salt and pepper.
Stir in bacon and onions.
Cover and cook for 8-10 hours on low.
6. Stir occasionally & serve immediately.
Store leftovers in refrigerator