One of the traditions we have in our family is having chili for dinner on Halloween night. There’s something about making a big batch and allowing it to cook all day long in the crockpot that just makes it so comforting after all the trick or treating. This year, my son is helping pass out candy as my swashbuckling pirate in a socially distance way (which has yet to be determined.) What Halloween traditions does your family have?
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 large (about 2 cups) onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cans (15 oz) tomato sauce
2 can (15.5 oz) chili beans, mild or hot
1 can (15.5 oz) kidney beans, drained
1 can (15.5 oz) pinto beans, drained
4-5 tablespoons chili powder, more or less depending on taste
2 teaspoons cumin, more or less depending on taste
1 tablespoon garlic salt
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1. Gather ingredients.
2. In a large skillet, cook ground beef until almost done.
3. Add chopped onions and garlic and cook until no pink remains in beef and onions are soft, about 3-5 minutes
4. Drain well and add to Crockpot.
5. Add remaining ingredients.
6. Stir until well combined.
7. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours
8. Serve with your favorite toppings. Store leftovers in refrigerator.
Make Ahead: Cook the ground beef, onions and garlic and store in refrigerator in covered container for 1-2 days prior to making chili
Leave a Reply