Springtime baking is therapeutic for me so I spent a day baking. One of the treats I made were these Springtime cupcakes. These have a classic yellow cake and simple buttercream frosting which I tinted in a few pastel colors for Easter. My family loved these so much that they want to make these for me for Mother’s Day!
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, room temperature
1 ½ cup granulated sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup cooking oil, vegetable or canola
1 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and fill pan with cupcake liners. Whisk together flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs.
3. Add sugar and continue beating for about 30 seconds.
4. Add oil and vanilla extract, beat until well combined.
5. Gradually add dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk. Beat until well combined, batter will be thin..
6. Divide into cupcake liners, 2/3 full. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely and frost.
1/2 cup (1 stick) Unsalted Butter, softened
1 cup Shortening
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4-6 tablespoons very cold milk or heavy cream
8-9 cups Powdered Sugar
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butters and shortening until smooth, about 3-5 minutes.
2. Mix vanilla extract and milk (or cream) together.
3. Gradually add powdered sugar alternating with a couple tablespoons of milk until desired consistency.
4. Transfer frosting into piping bag fitted with a tip of your choice (or use a sealable storage bag with a small corn snipped off.
5. Decorate cupcakes as desired.