Sandwiches aren’t exactly a food my husband likes. He’s not exactly picky but he is particular about sandwiches. For me, I like them a lot – hot, cold, sweet, savory… they’re so versatile, what’s not to like?! When I thought about making sandwiches for lunch the other day, he was relieved that I chose to make cheesesteaks. These Chicken Philly Cheesesteaks are a nice spin from the traditional beef philly cheesesteaks. With caramelized onions, bell peppers, mushrooms and a creamy blanket of melted mozzarella and provolone cheeses topping succulent chicken breast, these are sandwiches to satisfy any hungry man.
This recipe is pretty straightforward, which good food should be, right? For this recipe, boneless, skinless chicken breasts are sautéed in the Instant Pot – but you can grill or even bake the chicken to your preference. The key thing is to make sure it’s fully cooked for the sandwiches.
Once cooked, the chicken is placed on a toasty bun. The toppings are what make this sandwich – onions, peppers, mushrooms and melted cheese. I caramelized the onions, peppers and mushrooms to really add a depth of flavor to the sandwich.
As for the cheeses, I used a combination of mozzarella and provolone, which was shredded. You can use slices if you prefer too. I found the shredded cheeses make it easier to melt. Top the chicken with this mixture and you’ve got yourself a tasty sandwich!
Chicken Philly Cheesesteaks
recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
Chicken Philly Cheesesteaks Ingredients
- 1 pound chicken breast, boneless and skinless, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 green bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup white button mushroom, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 4 soft hoagie rolls, split lengthwise
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
Chicken Philly Cheesesteaks Recipe Instructions
- Plug in the IP with insert set in place. Preheat broiler.
- Toss chicken with 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Press SAUTE on the IP and add seasoned chicken and saute until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, on a baking sheet, toss together peppers, onion, mushrooms, garlic, and remaining tablespoon oil. Add to IP tossing occasionally, until crisp-tender and slightly caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer chicken and bell pepper mixture to baking sheet. Top chicken and vegetables with cheese; Broil until cheese is bubbling, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Scoop out most of the doughy center from both halves of rolls; discard. Spread rolls with butter ; fill with chicken and bell pepper mixture. Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply