The following cherry pie recipe was shared at my Chicago Chefs Dinner event. You can read more about it and get additional recipes featured at the event HERE.
Deep Dish Cherry Pie Recipe
Shared at the event by Joelen
Recipe courtesy Gale Gand
Piecrust dough, homemade or store bought
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh or thawed frozen cherries, or 2 (16-ounce) cans pie cherries
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
Cherry Pie Recipe Instructions
- Roll out the pie dough to 1/8th-inch thick and chill on parchment lined sheet pans.
- Cut out disks of dough 1-inch bigger than your ovenproof 8 to 12 ounce crocks. Keep chilled until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Drain the cherry juices into a medium saucepan; you should have about a cup of juice. Add the cornstarch, sugar, ginger, and lemon juice and whisk to dissolve the cornstarch then bring it to a simmer over medium heat whisking all the while.
- When thickened, turn off the heat, stir in the cherries. Pour the cherry filling into the ovenproof dishes and set aside to cool slightly. Carefully place the rolled-out disks on top and ease them into the dishes so it doesn’t hang over the edge.
- Brush each disk with a little heavy cream and then sprinkle lightly with 2 tablespoons of sugar. With the tips of a pair of scissors, snip a X vent hole in the top of each crust.
- Place the pies on a sheet pan, to catch any juices that boil over. Bake until the crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbling at the vents, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature. Serve at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.
Leave a Reply