With quite a few russet potatoes on hand, I decided to make gnocchi tonight for dinner. Gnocchi is a Italian dumpling made from potatoes. Inspired by Michael Chiarello’s recipe for potato gnocchi, here is my recipe for the gnocchi I made.Here’s my recipe for 4 cheese gnocchi which I served with marinara sauce, fresh basil and sweet italian chicken sausage.
Gnocchi Mac and Cheese
- 4 large russet potatoes, diced
- water for boiling
- 1 cup four cheese blend – parmesan, asiago, provolone, romano
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup all purpose flour
Gnocchi Mac and Cheese Instructions
- In a large pot, add diced potatoes and cover with water.
- Boil the potatoes in water over medium high heat until soft.
- Drain potatoes and place in bowl.
- Add egg yolks, cheese blend, salt & pepper.
- With a masher or electric beaters, mash potatoes until smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup of flour and fold in slowly.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup of flour.
- Check the texture of the dough and if it holds together, it’s ready to roll.
- Roll balls of dough into “snakes” about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut dough in about 1/2 inch lengths.
- Roll each piece over the tines of a fork for ridges.
- In a boiling pot of water, drop potato gnocchi to cook.
- Once the gnocchi floats, remove and place on a cooling rack over a baking sheet.
- This allows any moisture to evaporate and cools the gnocchi quickly.
- Once cooled, you can freeze it for future use, or add your choice of sauce and heat.
Leave a Reply