I have quite a bit of strawberries on hand so I’m scouting out some recipes to use them up! One popular idea for strawberries is using them in a pie. There are quite a few different pies to make but decided to recreate one I like ordering out at Baker’s Square (also known as Village Inn) restaurants. It’s a pie that’s only offered during the month of May. Here’s my take on the Hawaiian Strawberry Pie, which I can now enjoy anytime of year!
This Hawaiian Strawberry Pie combines the fruity flavors of pineapple and strawberries, along with toasted coconut and chopped pecans. The pie is really a no-bake pineapple cheesecake that you can prepare in a plain pie crust or graham cracker crust (I made it in a pie crust).
The pie is then topped with macerated strawberries and garnished with toasted coconuts and chopped pecans (which I omitted). I also piped fresh whipped cream around the edges for a nice border. It’s a very pretty and colorful pie that’s delicious if you like pineapple and strawberries… perfect for the summer!
Hawaiian Strawberry Pie
recipe inspired by Baker’s Square/Village Inn Restaurant
Hawaiian Strawberry Pie Ingredients
- 1 (15oz) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar + 2 tablespoons
- 2 cups whipped cream (homemade or store bought)
- 1 9-inch baked pie crust (homemade or store bought)
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
Hawaiian Strawberry Pie Recipe Instructions
- Place pineapple in a sieve and smash it to a pulp to release the juice. Reserve juice if desired but you won’t need it for the rest of the recipe. Transfer the pineapple pulp to a large bowl.
- Combine the pineapple, cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl. Fold in 1 cup of whipped cream.
- Transfer the pineapple cream cheese filling to the baked and cooled pie crust. Spread evenly to fill the crust. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- While pie is chilling, combine the strawberries and 2 tablespoons of sugar; set aside to macerate to release the juices. Drain the juices and set aside just before serving.
- Just before serving the pie, top the pineapple cream cheese filling with the macerated and drained strawberries.
- Sprinkle toasted coconut flakes and chopped pecans over the top for garnish. Pipe the remaining 1 cup of whipped cream on the edge as a border and serve.
Leave a Reply