The other night, my husband brought home a spiral sliced ham for me to play with! So tonight, I made this ham using a Brown Sugar & Mustard Glaze clone. This is great for the upcoming holidays and was so easy to prepare…
Old Fashioned Ham with Brown Sugar & Mustard Glaze
recipe from Bon Appetit, March 2008
Old Fashioned Ham with Brown Sugar & Mustard Glaze Ingredients
- 1 10-pound smoked ham with rind, preferably shank end
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice or apple cider
- 1/2 cup whole grain Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
Old Fashioned Ham with Brown Sugar & Mustard Glaze Recipe Instructions
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Place ham in large roasting pan.
- Pour apple juice over ham. Cover ham completely with parchment paper, then cover ham and roasting pan completely with heavy-duty foil, sealing tightly at edges of pan.
- Bake ham until instant-read thermometer inserted into center of ham registers 145°F. Remove ham from oven. Increase oven temperature to 375°F.
- Remove foil and parchment from ham.
- Drain and discard liquids from roasting pan. Cut off rind and all but 1/4-inch-thick layer of fat from ham and discard.
- Using long sharp knife, score fat in 1-inch-wide, 1/4-inch-deep diamond pattern. (I didn’t do this since my ham was already spiral sliced.)
- Spread mustard evenly over fat layer on ham. Pat brown sugar over mustard coating, pressing firmly to adhere. Drizzle honey evenly over.
- Bake until ham is well glazed, spooning any mustard and sugar glaze that slides into roasting pan back over ham, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer ham to serving platter; let cool at least 45 minutes.
- Slice ham and serve slightly warm or at room temperature.