A favorite combination of mine when it comes to German desserts is chocolate and cherries. It also happens to be one of my husband’s favorite cake flavors too and often requests a Black Forest cake on special occasions. For our recent German dinner, I wanted to highlight this combination because it’s common to see a Schwarzwälderkirschtorte or Black Forest Torte at local German bakeries. Rather than making a torte, I opted to make cupcakes instead since they’re easier to serve and individually portioned, making sharing easier too.
To prepare, it’s essentially a rich chocolate cake batter that’s baked up as cupcakes. Once the cupcakes are baked and cooled, the middles are cut out and filled with a sweet cherry filling.
Due to time constraints and out of convenience, I used a canned cherry pie filling but you’re welcome to use a homemade cherry filling but simply boiling pitted cherries, water and a little sugar. If you have some kirsch or cherry liquor, feel free to add a little for more cherry flavor.
After the cupcakes are filled, top them with some freshly whipped cream and garnish with a maraschino cherry!
Schwarzwälderkirschtorte (Black Forest Cupcakes)
recipe adapted from Global Gourmet
Schwarzwälderkirschtorte (Black Forest Cupcakes) Cake Batter Ingredients
- 2 cups flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoon soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Schwarzwälderkirschtorte (Black Forest Cupcakes) Filling Ingredients
- 1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling, chilled
Schwarzwälderkirschtorte (Black Forest Cupcakes) Frosting & Garnish Ingredients
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 12 maraschino cherries
Schwarzwälderkirschtorte (Black Forest Cupcakes) Recipe Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12-cup muffin pan with liners.
- Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, flour, milk, baking soda, cocoa, red food coloring, and vanilla. Blend on low, scraping constantly. Beat 3 minutes on high speed.
- Fill each muffin liner with batter up to 2/3 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool thoroughly on a cooling rack.
- Whip heavy cream with confectioners’ sugar and place in a piping bag; set aside.
- When cupcakes are cool, cut out the centers of each so you can fill it.
- Reserve the cake middles – don’t throw them away. Enjoy them as a treat for later or stir into ice cream!
- Fill each cupcake will cherry pie filling. Top the cupcake with the fresh whipped cream and pipe it on.
- Top each cupcake with a maraschino cherry.