The following recipe was prepared for my Tamales cooking class. You can read about my class and get other links to recipes HERE.
Tres Leches Flan Cake Recipe
Ingredients for Cake:
- 1 (18.25 oz.) box butter/yellow cake mix and ingredients to prepare as directed on box
- 1 (12 oz) can of regular Coke or Pepsi
Ingredients for Topping:
- 1 (10.9-oz.) jar cajeta (caramel topping) or caramel ice cream topping
Ingredients for Flan:
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Instructions for Tres Leches Flan Cake
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Follow instructions to make cake, but use the can of coke instead of water.
- Set cake mix aside and make flan
- Put the flan ingredients in a blender and mix well
- Spray the bundt pan with Pam and then cover the bottom with carmel
- Pour cake mix into bundt pan.
- Pour the flan mix gently down one side of the pan. The flan will go to the bottom and the cake mix will raise up a bit as the flan mixture fills the bottom of the pan.
- Set the bundt pan in a larger pan or tray with hot water. You are creating a bain marie or water bath, so you only need a couple inches of water.
- Put it all in the oven and it will cook for at least 45 minutes and as much as an hour.
- Check the cake doneness with a toothpick. The cake will stay more moist than most cakes you’ve ever made and you will see it separate a bit from the pan when it is done.
- Let it cool and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Take it out two hours before you plan to serve. Turn the bundt pan over and let it sit while warming to room temperature.
- The bundt pan should then lift off to reveal a layer of flan, topped with carmel sitting atop a very moist cake.